the foundation for a better life

Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Lights Go Out


On Saturday night, June 18th, 2011, the world froze when the beloved Clarence Clemons passed away.

The Big Man, as he was known, was 69 years old when he left this life after complications stemming from a stroke on June 12th. The damage Clarence sustained from the incident was irrevocable, and most likely would have ended his playing career, had he lived on. It is the selfishness of the fans to want someone as joyous as Clarence to live for 100 years. But in the grand scheme of life, fans such as myself should be grateful that Clarence lived a prosperous life; countless hits, and millions lives touched.

When I first started listening to The E Street Band I was twelve years old. It was that akward transition phase in a person's life between childhood and teenage years. From the first sound of Born to Run, that melody appealed to a part laying dormant inside me, awakening my soul.

As any true Boss fan knows, you bring into your heart everything that exist's in the heart of Bruce. You in turn adopt a passionate love for Clarence, who has a presence as great as his joy. Perhaps, that is what is most magical about the E Street Band: Bruce communicates so powerfully and so successfully his thoughts, that we engulf them in a frenzy. They played the pivotal role of inspiration, partner, and best friend in each other's life. Nights growing up I would fall asleep listening to "Thunder Road"- my favorite song ever written, listening to that beautiful duet of Bruce's guitar and Clarence's saxophone at the end. "Show a little faith there's magic in the night," pure poetry. Knowing that someone who has changed my life for the good has passed on, is the most heartbreaking reality.

You can try and replace them, but you can never fill the void of your greatest counterpart. That person with whom you laugh, love, and survive with, is the greatest gift any human being could ever find. To lose them, is an immeasurable loss. The night Clarence passed away I was reminded once again of the fact that someone you love, really, can disappear at any moment. At the same time, I was also reminded of those I love most, and to cherish them always. Bruce and Clarence are the most enlightening example of how to savor every moment with someone in your life. They are your inspiration- they are what picks you up in your darkest hour, and are the wind in your sails.

I have taken the time to mourn Clarence's passing, and I have let the tears shed from my eyes as they were meant to. Some of the happiest times in my life, were seeing "THE BIGGEST MAN ALIVE," as he was introduced live in front of me. He was one of the best parts of every Springsteen concert I have been to, and he has been one of the best parts of every Springsteen song he's ever played in. Now, as the lights go out we wish a tearful farewell to The Big Man, and proclaim our undying love for the one who took us home in "Rosalita." Teaching us that it is ok, beautiful even, to be "tramps like us."

We enjoyed every moment with you, Clarence Clemons- nights in Jungleland will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment